Saturday, June 16, 2007

Shoping and Riding Experiences!

Today, I had my first cloth shopping experience. Wow! Talk about being mauled! Vendors were coming at me and some of the other girls like vultures...it was crazy: ) I bought enough material to have two wrap around skirts made! It cost 3500 cfa(francs) which is about $7-8 US Dollars! I also went to the grocery store later in the afternoon, I love going to the store. The grocery store is run by Lebanese people. Usually almost every time I go to the store, which is only once or twice a week, I get meat. There is one butcher, who now has a familar face, he can understand english, and is quite helpful! We have one of those relationships that as soon as he sees me, he comes right over and helps. Those kinds of relationships usually allow for witnessing, but because I cannot speak the language very well, it is can be difficult, because he does not understand English that well! But, be praying that I have opportunities to atleast touch people's lives by my attitude: )
**TRANSPORTATION**
There seem to be three types of public transportation. They consist of two different kinds of taxis, and a bus system. There is a bus-like taxi, known as the “Green Machine”, and there is a normal 4-passenger taxi. There are many different brands of cars that are used in Mali. Dodge, Toyota, Honda, Chevy, and Mazda are a few of the brand name cars in Bamako. Cars are seen quite frequently. I would say that they are used almost as much as the taxis are. Also, people ride bikes!
Technology in Mali is limited. Many are without electricity, but those who do have electricity, receive it from cement made telephone poles. Electricity seemed to be present in most business offices and schools, but not in the market place, or in the church building. Several Malians have cell phones, and most answer their phone calls even if in the middle of a conversation with someone else.

No comments: