Monday, August 20, 2007

The Update :)

Aw ni wula(Good Afternoon) to My Dear Friends and Family,
It seems as though I got so excited about having internet connection again, that I went picture crazy, but did not write an updated blog message, so I decided I best update you all on what God has been doing here in Mali, West Africa. He has been quite busy! The team returned to Bamako, from our stay in Bougouni. While we were in Bougouni, we stayed at Reed Bible Institute, where the director of the school, taught us our “World’s Living Religions” course. His family lives on the compound, as did we. I fell in love with his family, and spent almost every evening with them. Our professor’s name was Joseph Camara, and he studied at Grace University, in Omaha, NE, about 11 years ago. So, he and his wife can both speak English, and their children are learning. They have three children, whom I am pictured with many times. Almost every afternoon, I would go with their threes kids up to a mountain and we would just sit and talk, take pictures, play UNO J In Africa, it is quite common for extended family to all live together, and so not only does Joseph’s family live there, his mother, one sister, and one brother also live there. His sister is 25, and his brother is 27. I have spent a lot of time with his brother and sister, as well. His brother, Abel, can speak a small amount of English, but he is learning, and he has been helping me with my French. I am trying to teach English to his sister, Kadiatou. When we left Bougouni, I really did leave part of my heart there. I learned many things while in Bougouni. I really did enjoy my time there, so much so, that I will be returning to Bougouni on the weekends to hopefully engage in some women’s and children’s ministry, and then doing some ministry with university students here in Bamako, during the week. While in Bougouni, I would say that my relationship with God, reached a level that it has never been at before. Although, I have tried many times, and have always wanted to have a daily time that I spent with God, it is something that I always struggled with. While in Bougouni, I found a little secret spot, and EVERY morning, I would get up early, at the same time, and go to my spot and spend time with the Lord. Every morning, He had something new to show me. I actually look forward to getting up early every morning just to spend time with Him. Never in my life have I ever enjoyed getting up early, but I have come to love my mornings. Not to mention, that no one else on my team is up, so it quiet and peaceful. J I can honestly say that I love the Lord, and I am so thankful that He is in my life, and that He has control. He has been teaching me many lessons on being patient, and waiting for His timing. Isnt it great that we serve such a big God?
Well, after returning to Bamako on August 11, 2007, we attended a “Tent-making Conference” this last weekend. Its emphasis was on witness and taking Christ into your work setting. It was very interesting, and I felt that thinking long-term, it was a very beneficial conference. It was an international conference, everything was in French and English. There were 17 different countries represented, most from within Africa. At one point, they called people up to represent the different countries, and my team sent me up as the rep. for the United States…oh boy, I was a proud representative for the United States( it was kind of funny, because I was actually wearing a Malian outfit, on the day that I was representing the United States of America. J ) I was able to make many contacts with people from the different countries, so that one day when I am finished with school, if Africa is still where the Lord wants me, I have many invitations to many different African countries. God is good! I was also able to make contacts with several of the local university students, which is amazing, because as a team, we will now be able to work on building some relationships with them. The students that were at the conference could all speak English rather well. I am really excited to see what God is going to do with these contacts, I am very excited about all the potential…J Anyway, we started our final class today..”Evangelism and Church Planting” I am excited about it. So, I actually best be heading off, so that I can focus on doing some of my homeworkJ Anyway, thank you to all of you who have been and still are praying for me and my team. God has been doing some amazing things, and we can feel the impacts of your prayers! After we finish up with this last class, the team will be splitting up to focus on ministry opportunites. The 6 single students will be living in Bamako, and the two married couples will be heading to different cities to do their ministry. So, you can be praying for the adjustments that will have to be made. Also, I am just super excited about all the potential there is to serve here, so if you would be praying that God would be guiding me in what He wants me to be doing, I would appreciate that! I kept telling my mother, that although my plane ticket says that my return date in November 17th, that date just may change to a later date…she keeps telling me that I must come home and finish school, before I can stay in Africa…I told her that we will just see what God has in mindJ I do truly love it here, the people are amazing, they love to build relationships! I am excited to see what God has in store for myself and my team in the next 3 months. Please keep us in your prayers, and know that you are playing a major role in our team, although you are on the other side of the world. Let us all keep our eyes focused on Jesus, as we all strive to serve Him each and every day.

Shining His Light,
Hannah

1 comment:

alex said...

That is awesome to hear about what is going on in your life and what you are doing! We are praying and will continue to pray for you!